Visiting up in Bethel, Maine, one of my fondest memories was making sugar cookies with my grandma. She was a master baker, and her sugar cookies were the stuff of legend. I remember watching in awe as she mixed the dough, cut out the shapes, and carefully decorated each cookie with colorful frosting and sprinkles.
My grandma was a true artist in the kitchen. She had a natural talent for baking, and she passed on her love of cooking and baking to me at a young age. I remember spending hours with her in the kitchen, learning the ins and outs of measuring, mixing, and baking. She taught me everything I know about making sugar cookies, and to this day, her recipe remains one of my favorites.
To make grandma's sugar cookies, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Instructions:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and shape each one into a disc. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove one disc of dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use cookie cutters to cut out your desired shapes, and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, re-rolling scraps as needed.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, it's time to decorate! Use your favorite frosting recipe, or try grandma's recipe below:
Grandma's Frosting Recipe:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring, if desired
Instructions:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing until well combined.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract, and beat until the frosting is smooth and creamy. If the frosting is too thick, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- If desired, add food coloring to the frosting to create a rainbow of colors.
- Use a piping bag or a butter knife to spread the frosting onto the cooled cookies, and decorate with sprinkles or other decorations as desired.
Making sugar cookies with grandma was more than just a baking lesson - it was a cherished tradition that brought us closer together. She would tell me stories about growing up in Maine, and how she and my grandpa had built their house from scratch. He was an avid gardener, and they had a huge vegetable garden in their backyard that provided them with fresh produce all summer long.
Grandma's sugar cookies were always a hit at family gatherings, and she would often make a batch just for me when I came to visit. Her secret was in the butter - she always used high-quality, unsalted butter, and let it come to room temperature before using it in her recipe. She also emphasized the importance of using fresh ingredients and measuring everything precisely, which I still abide by today.
As I grew older, I continued to make sugar cookies with grandma whenever I could. Even when I moved away from Maine, I would call her for advice and share pictures of my latest cookie creations. Her pride in my baking skills meant the world to me, and I know that she would be thrilled to see how much I've grown as a baker since those early days in her kitchen.
To this day, whenever I make sugar cookies, I think of grandma and the lessons she taught me about baking, family, and tradition. I've made a few tweaks to her recipe over the years, adding a pinch of cinnamon or swapping out the vanilla extract for almond extract, but the basic recipe remains the same. And every time I take a bite of a freshly-baked sugar cookie, I'm transported back to those happy moments with my grandma.
In a world that moves at breakneck speed, it's comforting to know that some things never change. The smell of buttery sugar cookies baking in the oven, the feel of soft dough between your fingers, the joy of spending time with loved ones in the kitchen - these are the things that make life sweet. And for me, they all start with grandma's famous sugar cookies.

Comments
Post a Comment